Friday, May 23, 2008

Music in My Life

Growing up with music by Carman, Steven Curtis Chapman, Petra, and dc Talk is one of my favorite things about my childhood. At the time, it was safe music. Safe, protective lyrics that offered my very conservative parents security for their children’s ears and minds. As time progressed, new artists were introduced: Point of Grace in 1990; Michael W. Smith in ’92; I wanted to be just like Jaci Velasquez in 1994; “Butterfly Kisses” became Bob Carlisle’s big hit in ’97, the same year Rich Mullins was killed in a vehicle accident. I fell in love with the sounds of Relient K through high school and was moved by the motivating lyrics of Superchick. Upon my high school graduation, I became a Toby Mac Diehard. Other booming artists I was introduced to were Hawk Nelson, the Afters, and Family Force Five.

This week I came across the 10th Anniversary Edition of dc Talk’s Jesus Freak and purchased it. On the page behind the album cover was a short biography of the life of the band and this album. The biography explains how the band increased in popularity rapidly right before bombing the world with this bold and powerful. And how brutally honest these lyrics are! I put the CD in the player this morning on my way to work and listened to the words that portray the weaknesses of humanity and the desperate need for a Savior.

These words that protected me through my younger years were, a decade later, pushing me to the edge of hardcore Christian spirituality, challenging me to put pride aside, to not hide behind the soft image of a mere church-attender, and vulnerably carry the cross that will bring it’s “share of splinters.” These old lines – often forgotten lines! – were convicting me about my current spiritual state today in 2008! “Kamikaze, my death is gain. I’ve been marked by my Maker – a peculiar display. The high and lofty – they see me as weak cause I won’t live and die for the power they seek!” The words pierce my heart as Kevin’s deep voice paints a picture of a present-day Paul pushing towards the promise we have in Christ. And I ask, am I living this?

The challenge to “see the beauty in the tones of our skin” presents itself in “Colored People”, acknowledging the brokenness of mankind, our dependency on God’s grace, and praising Him for his creative artistry. After feeling the sting of racism within and without the body of believers, this song is a warm comforting embrace and an encouragement to worship our Maker by loving the diversity He designed us to be. This song calls for forgiveness for the hurt that has been caused by and to entire nations in ignorance. It calls for a love and peace that can only come from Christ.

Confronting the root of everything we do, “What If I Stumble” sings gently to us with daring interrogations, “Is this one for the people? Is this one for the Lord? Or do I simply serenade for things I must afford?” This simple test arouses yet another series of questions in my mind demanding explanations for every action I take. Who am I performing for in this stage we call life? Who is my true love? Do I live to please my peers or serve myself? Or do I die to it all and live for the glory of Christ?

It’s so easy to be “protected” by lyrics written by Christian artists, and to forget that there might be a deeper meaning if we listen closely. The truth is that while one might seem to be “courting fame” that Holiness is still calling, and the bottom line is, the name of Christ is being made famous. Listen.

0 thoughts: