Thursday, November 6, 2008

Jesus

Several months ago, I started to read the book of John. I chose John because Jesus was in it. I was discovering how much "theology" and terms I knew, but how I was slowly losing the simple friendship I had with Jesus. In the last months I have been reading John for the sake of knowing who Jesus is. His character, his personality, his behavior.

You know how when you have a crush on someone you start noticing everything about them? Their quirks, silly phrases, then as your interest grows deeper, you pay more and more attention to they're behavior, and you want to know more and more about them. That is how I feel about Jesus right now. Though it's been hard to read (I won't lie), I find myself reading certain situations Jesus was in and eagerly waiting to see what Jesus would do next. How will he handle the circumstance? How will he treat this or that man or woman? What will his tone be? What was he thinking?

I find myself confused and delighted by the words that come out of his mouth. I giggle at times. At other times, I get angry. Some things he says scare me. Sometimes, when he says things... I realize how much I suck. And so I get sad. And... I cry. But then he offers grace. And I'm comforted, although I don't deserve that grace or hope or comfort.

Here are some things he has said that I adore.

"Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these." (1:50)

"It is I; do not be afraid." (6:20)

"Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her" (and they all walk away except for the woman and Jesus.) "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" (She answers, No, Lord.) "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more." (8:7-11)

"I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?" (11:25,26)

"Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour: Father, glorify your name." (12:27,28)

Really... Go read all these in context. The moments are intense, passion-filled... ridiculous. Seriously... if you read any of this... Go fall in love with Jesus.

And my friend Ashley loves me. And I love her.

0 thoughts: